Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tracts of my tears

This morning as I was stopping at our credit union a woman drove by me, stopped, rolled down her window and asked me if I wanted something to read, then thrust a Christian pamphlet at me.

I declined, but it got me to thinking: Do other religions have people who hand out religious tracts or other literature, or go door to door?

On a hot summer day when I see groups of people in suits roaming the neighborhood, I know they're knocking on doors and talking about Jesus. We get Jehovah's witnesses, too, but they're clearly Christian, even though many other Christians don't seem to like them. (What is it with you people?)

I've never had a Hindu knock on my door, never had a Sufi aggressively thrust a pamphlet into my hand while whirling or otherwise (whirling dervishes are Sufis), never had a Zen master corner me in the produce section at the grocery store ("Life is like an apple. I will explain.")

Do other religions want you to come to them, rather than the other way around? Or have I just missed the wave of Sikh missionaries that troop down the sidewalks o America, urging men to put down their razors at every turn?

Rastafarians are probably too stoned, Scientologists are probably too preoccupied with Tom Cruise, and Unitarians wouldn't proselytize because it is, rather, you know, unseemly. Jews, of course, are afraid of schvitzing.

But surrealists? They're coming at us all the time. You just don't know it.

(Speaking of which, here is my favorite surrealist joke, which I didn't make up. Q: Why did the surrealist cross the road? A. A fish. I know surrealism isn't a religion, but it seems to have a lot in common with a number of them.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The following will provide THE BEST and MOST ACCURATE info about Jehovah's Witnesses, their beliefs, and how they actually practice such day to day.

SUMMARIES OF OVER 1000 JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES LAWSUITS & COURT CASES

The following website summarizes over 550 U.S. court cases and lawsuits affecting children of Jehovah's Witness Parents, including 375 cases where the JW Parents refused to consent to life-saving blood transfusions for their dying children:

DIVORCE, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND OTHER LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CHILDREN OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

http://jwdivorces.bravehost.com


The following website summarizes over 500 lawsuits filed by Jehovah's Witnesses against their Employers, incidents involving problem JW Employees, and other secret JW "history" court cases:

EMPLOYMENT ISSUES UNIQUE TO JEHOVAH'S WITNESS EMPLOYEES

http://jwemployees.bravehost.com