Sunday, June 15, 2008

Senior Moment

A few days ago, coming back from a meeting, I dashed into Burger King for a burger and a soda. I ordered of the value menu, but the price was even lower than I expected. I checked the receipt while I ate and discovered why:

The sweet young thing at the cash register had given me the senior discount.

For the record I'm 52, though I'm sure that to the 20-year-old (if that) who took my order I look positively ancient. I certainly look my age. Though I couldn't find anything on Burger King's website, a Google search turned up a number of senior discount listings. Burger King either gives a discount at 55 or 60; the various sites I visited couldn't agree.

At first I didn't know whether to laugh or be offended. Then I thought, Burger King, I'm sure, can't buy a break. If the cashier asks, some people will be offended. If the cashier doesn't ask, some people will be offended. If the cashier offers a discount without being asked, some people will be offended.

No matter what, somebody's going to be huffy.

So, all you folks who spend hundreds of dollars (or more) on cosmetics, haircuts, botox, whatever, to make yourself look younger? It's costing you in more ways than one.

No comments: