Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sam The Sham

No doubt you've read (though hopefully not experienced) all sorts of Internet scams and cheats involving real looking fake sites that entice you to give your credit card info, shill bidders on eBay, and foreign widows who want to give you the $60 million that their late husband stashed in a Swiss bank account. (And rich widows are in such short supply these days.)

But I've found the newest, and potentially cleverest, scam going: bunk beds.

I put a set of bunk beds on sale on Craigslist yesterday, and within an hour I had four people saying they were interested. Three wanted to come see them, but the fourth had a different idea.

Mark Edwards lamented that he was "interested in buying from you," but unfortunately, "I would love to come check it myself, but I just got married and am presently on a honeymoon trip to Hawaii with my wife."

So he wants to "come check it" — Isn't that what you do on a honeymoon? — but is in Hawaii and, when the endless hours of surfing, volcano climbing and sipping drinks on the beach begin to drag, he thinks about — no, he yearns for — bunk beds. I don't know about you, but my honeymoon didn't involve bunk beds, in thoughts or in reality.

But why let a honeymoon in Hawaii interrupt the purchase of bunk beds for you and your lovely bride? Mark Edwards is a resourceful man, and here's his idea. He'll have his secretary mail me a certified check for $200, which is $50 more than my asking price, and then his mover will come pick up the bed from us. (Since the bed was taken apart this morning, I think his secretary could come pick it up if she had an SUV or a minivan.)

All I have to do is give him my name, address and phone number, and take the "advert" — Mr. Edwards sounds little British — of the Web.

No doubt the mover and bed would be long gone when Mr. Edwards' "certified check" bounces sky high.

I'm afraid that if Mr. Edwards' lovely bride has her heart set on bunk beds, she'll have to look elsewhere. It is possible, I suppose, for someone who can afford to honeymoon in Hawaii to be able to afford brand new bunk beds from anyone of a number furniture stores, but maybe the price of coconuts has risen faster than I thought.

Still, Mr. Edwards' poignant ending does bring a little tear to the eye and a catch to the throat. "I would love," he writes, "a surprise change of furniture in our home on our return."

I would say that bunk beds, particularly from his new wife's point of view, certainly qualify.

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I received a strange reply earlier tonight from a craigslist ad I had posted and I was very suspicious. I googled some of the verbage from the email and I came across your posting and the words were actually the same from some guy named Daren Clooney. I thought now why would someone be emailing me when they were presently on a honeymoon trip to Hawaii with his wife. He wants my old school entertainment center as long as it's in good condition and will even throw in an extra $50 (payment by certified check) and has his own "secretary" and "mover"? I am so glad I read your posting and didn't fall for this scam.

Thanks for your posting!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this on your blog. I got the same reply from craigslist last week and when things started getting strange I googled "Daren Clooney" and found your blog. My story gets even stranger in that after the email that was exactly like the one you posted, he claimed that his secretary made a mistake and sent a check for $2K more and asked that once I deposit the check if I could Western Union the excess to his "mover".

Anonymous said...

I just heard from Daren Clooney regarding an antique dresser I have listed on Craigslist - same story, secretary, $50 bonus, movers, etc. etc. This guy is doing a lot of furniture shopping while on his "Hawaiian Honeymoon". Before finding this site, I sent him only a cell phone # & suggested he call, so we could make arrangements more suitable for both of us. I doubt we will be hearing from him again any time soon............

Anonymous said...

I also got the same email from Daren Clooney about a futon ad I posted and thought it seemed fishy. Thanks for posting this so I could make sure that it wasn't just some weird guy wanting a futon.

Anonymous said...

You're not gonna believe this...... I'm the one who suggested he call my cell #, and this is the e-m he just sent:

I am a bad stammerer as i could have called you.My movers will be coming for pickup immediately you have received payment.Pls I will need both your full name
and physical address along with your phone number to issue out the
payment.
I await your urgent response.
thanks
Daren

..so I copied & pasted all of (y)our postings from here & sent them to him. This guy's brassy ones are showing........

Anonymous said...

You're not gonna believe this...... I'm the one who suggested he call my cell #, and this is the e-m he just sent:

I am a bad stammerer as i could have called you.My movers will be coming for pickup immediately you have received payment.Pls I will need both your full name
and physical address along with your phone number to issue out the
payment.
I await your urgent response.
thanks
Daren

..so I copied & pasted all of (y)our postings from here & sent them to him. This guy's brassy ones are showing........

Anonymous said...

Beware of "Bill" as well... See here:

Thank you for the reply to my mail inquiry am quite satisfied with the condition .Am very much interested and i would like to make an outright purchase, so i will appreciate it if you can withdraw the advert from the web.Actually am a bad stammerer,I would have called you. I will be paying with a certified check.Furthermore my mover will be coming over for the pick up..as i might not be available for the pick up myself but am OK with the information from the ad.I will need the following information details to make payment arrangement 1,Your full name to be on the Payment.2 ,Your postal address.3,Your phone number both land and mobile.4,Your postal code.???? I will really appreciate it buying this item from you.So you get me the required information for your payment to be issued asap.
Thank you.
Bill.

Anonymous said...

BEWARE OF BILL GRANT AS WELL:

Thank you for the reply to my mail inquiry am quite satisfied with the condition .Am very much interested and i would like to make an outright purchase, so i will appreciate it if you can withdraw the advert from the web.Actually am a bad stammerer,I would have called you. I will be paying with a certified check.Furthermore my mover will be coming over for the pick up..as i might not be available for the pick up myself but am OK with the information from the ad.I will need the following information details to make payment arrangement 1,Your full name to be on the Payment.2 ,Your postal address.3,Your phone number both land and mobile.4,Your postal code.???? I will really appreciate it buying this item from you.So you get me the required information for your payment to be issued asap.
Thank you.
Bill.